Go Back


go back

They had always loved the sea and dreamed of spending their lives exploring unknown lands and plowing the oceans. One day their dream became a reality, but at the time they did not know what kind of nightmare they would have to endure. Maurice and Marilyn Bailey from Great Britain were in love with the sea. The couple dreamed of having their own yacht, but their meager income did not allow them to buy one. Then Marilyn had the idea of selling the house, buying a yacht and moving to live on it. Their "old" life was centered in Southampton, Hampshire, which is in the south of England. At first Maurice rejected the idea. But Marilyn was able to convince her husband that the dream was realistic. To begin with, they engaged in the study of nautical science and the construction of a ten-meter yacht. This preparation and construction of the yacht took four years. Finally the yacht was ready and they called it Auralyn, it was 9.4 meters long. And at the beginning of the summer of 1972 they started the voyage of their dreams. Their ultimate goal was to reach New Zealand and possibly settle there. At first everything went according to plan: they crossed the Atlantic Ocean, reached the American continent, sailed through the Panama Canal and ended up in the Pacific Ocean. In March 1973, they planned to dock at one of the Galapagos Islands. On March 4, 1973, at dawn, about 500 kilometers from the Galapagos Islands, a huge whale (presumably a sperm whale) strikes the yacht with its tail. A hole forms in the yacht and it begins to go underwater. At first, Maurice tries to close the hole with improvised means, but it does not work. The couple began to evacuate the essentials to an inflatable life raft. They managed to get some water, food, a compass and a small rubber dinghy. Not an hour after the whale attack, the boat went underwater. The couple sailed in a navigable area for the first time, but several ships that passed by didn't notice them. They counted seven ships that sailed by. Slowly, the winds and current carried them away from the shipping lanes into one of the most remote and inhospitable parts of the Pacific. Gradually they began to drift northwest. Water and food had to be consumed in austerity mode. The advantage of the place where they were swept away was the abundance of sea animals and birds. Which saved the lives of our heroes. The raft became an entire ecosystem. It became overgrown with algae and crustaceans. Small fish came to the raft to feed. The small fish attracted big fish and the latter were of interest to birds. The inflatable raft was not designed for long-term swimming. And after three weeks it began to fall into disrepair. They had to be on duty, taking turns to pump out the water. One day they had the idea of harnessing turtles to the raft. They thought the turtles had come from the Galapagos Islands, so they could take them to the islands. But it didn't work out that way. One tethered turtle was visibly moving the raft out of place, you could even see ripples in the water. A decision was made to harness some turtles. But they dragged the raft in different directions. As it turned out later, some fish could even be caught by hand. This third way was found when Maurice washed his hands of turtle blood. Several of the fish swam right up to his hands, and it was just a matter of splashing them onto the boat with the water. They caught over 400 fish this way. The turtles were also easy enough to catch, but psychologically and physically it was hard to take their lives. By the way, Maurice and Marilyn decided to become vegetarians if they were saved. And subsequently they gave up eating meat. Marilyn kept a diary. Later in her book ("Staying Alive"/1974) about this journey she wrote: We explored the hidden depths of each other's character. We had no secrets, no privacy and no inhibitions. In some strange way we found peace in our total isolation. We discarded the trappings of so-called civilization and returned to a simple prehistoric way of life. For his part, Maurice recalled: Marilyn inspired me to survive. Unlike me, she had an aversion to despair. If there had been two men on the life raft, we probably wouldn't have survived. And Marilyn kept my will to live alive. Maurice was not a believer, but Marilyn believed they were kept alive by some higher power. Their survival was predestined, she believed. One morning they managed to get some fish, they ate, and Maurice went to bed. After a while, Marilyn woke him up to hear the sound of an engine. Maurice thought at first that his wife was having auditory hallucinations: since they hadn't seen a ship in 45 days. But still it was a fishing schooner! Marilyn was not mistaken. But to his surprise the schooner spotted them, though they sailed past. The ship turned around and approached the raft. On June 30, 1973, Maurice and Marilyn Bailey were rescued by a South Korean fishing boat that was returning from Tenerife to Busan. And if you think they were permanently settled on land, you are wrong. A year later, they returned to the sea on a new yacht, the Auralin II. On which they happily lived and traveled for almost 30 years.